What should memory improvement tablets contain? Who should take them? How to use memory and concentration tablets to be effective? If you have memory problems, often feel distracted and find it difficult to concentrate on tasks, this text is for you.
Ranking of memory and concentration substances
The brain and nervous system deal with millions of information, signals and impulses every day. Sometimes, for various reasons, these organs need external support. It is the moment when you can reach for memory improvement tablets. What should memory and concentration pills contain to help you concentrate better, remember things faster and postpone the feeling of mental fatigue? It is difficult to create a ranking of substances for memory and concentration, to pick one winner because different chemical compounds have various functions in the nervous system. However, we certainly know which substances support memory and concentration, and these should be found in tablets for improving memory. Of course, not all at once, the compositions of memory preparations can be very different.
In memory improvement tablets that really work, you can find:
- omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA acid - crucial components of cell membranes,
- resveratrol - a powerful antioxidant,
- caffeine - a highly researched stimulant that improves memory and concentration,
- tyrosine - an amino acid that increases alertness and improves mental abilities during very demanding tasks for the brain,
- adaptogens – ginseng, ashwagandha, bacopa minor, Centella Asiatica, rhododendron, ginkgo Biloba - these and other adaptogens have a broad spectrum of adaptogenic effects, increasing resistance to stress and environmental factors, improving brain function in many areas,
- choline – sometimes called vitamin B4, which has a positive effect on long-term memory.
Of course, this is not a full ranking of memory and concentration substances, but those listed above have the most reliable and recognised effects, as well as being the most common in memory improvement tablets.
How to choose good tablets for memory and concentration?
Memory improvement tablets should be chosen according to the same principles as other dietary supplements. It is important to ensure that the composition contains plant or isolated extracts, pure chemical compounds with scientifically proven effects. Therefore, it is worth betting on trusted supplement manufacturers who do not disappoint their customers and offer products that really work.The key is not to buy something for memory, but to make sure that this "something for memory" is effective. Another important thing is the standardisation of extracts, i.e. information on the exact quantities of active substances contained in the supplement. If the content of bioactive compounds is low, you can't count on the improvement of memory and concentration. Moreover, if the manufacturer does not provide the exact composition, it is easy to guess that there is nothing to boast about (i.e. this supplement is certainly not good for memory). Dosage is also important. Good tablets, whether supplements or drugs for memory and concentration, should provide the needed amount of active ingredients in 1-3 tablets per day. It is mainly due to the convenience of use and indicates the concentration of substances per tablet.
Who is memory medication for? For the elderly? For students?
Memory supplements and medications for the elderly seem natural, as it is well known that with age, brain function decreases, cognitive abilities decline and neurodegenerative diseases appear among some seniors. In order to support the work of the nervous system and reduce the risk of diseases, it is worth including memory preparations for the elderly. It should be noted here that popular tonics advertised as ideal gifts for seniors, e.g. for strengthening, for the heart and for memory in reality are not the best preparations and definitely instead of this type of product for memory it is better to choose tablets with valuable composition. As age increases, it is worth considering taking supplements and memory medication for the elderly on a permanent basis.
Who else needs memory and concentration tablets? All people who function under increased mental effort and stress. Undoubtedly, this group includes students who remember about memory improvement tablets, especially during the exam session. Improved attention and memory as a result of supplementation will be experienced by people who work mentally, but not only. Improved cognitive abilities are an essential factor for efficiency in any type of work, not only a mental one.
Most memory and concentration tablets give a noticeable effect after 4-8 weeks of use. Therefore, reaching for them in the middle of a session is unlikely to have the desired results. The only exception is tyrosine, which has a short-term effect on improving memory and concentration and should be taken in a dose of 150-300 mg/kg body weight before a demanding mental task.
What's good for memory - diet and lifestyle
A pill to improve memory is a tempting idea. But you shouldn't forget what improves memory from the very beginning - healthy sleep, work according to your daily rhythm, a nutritious diet and a dose of outdoor exercise. These factors are crucial to optimising cognitive abilities. So, what is good for memory?
- Uninterrupted sleep, ideally 6 to 8 hours per night and per day.
- A healthy diet full of vegetables, protein sources, oily sea fish, whole grains, nuts and seeds.
- Work during the hours when your brain is most active and prone to focus. There's no point getting up at the crack of dawn if you know from experience that you work better late in the evening.
- If you work regular hours, plan your most demanding tasks for the hours when you usually work best.
- Exercise, preferably outdoors - it oxygenates the brain, relieves tension and helps you gain a fresh perspective, which improves memory and concentration.