Organic Sulphur MSM is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compound. It can be found in food but is too easily broken down during thermal processing to provide food with higher amounts of MSM. Organic sulphur is attributed to many functions. From reducing joint soreness to hair growth and lowering cholesterol. What does organic sulphur work for? Who might benefit from MSM supplementation?
Organic sulphur - what is MSM?
Sulphur is the third most common element in the human body. Every chemical compound of sulphur that occurs in living organisms is organic sulphur, and there are many groups of these compounds. However, it is commonly accepted, especially in the dietary supplement market, that the name "organic sulphur" is reserved for the sulphur found in the compound MSM, methylsulphomethane. Other names for the same compound are methylsulphate or dimethylsulphon. Therefore, the terms 'organic sulphur' and 'MSM' are used interchangeably.
Organic sulphur MSM is present in food, in both plant and animal products. Vegetables, fruit, cereals, meat and dairy products provide it. However, MSM is easily broken down during thermal processing. To get the organic sulphur MSM from the diet, it is best to consume raw products. Foods richest in MSM include coffee, tea, beer, raw milk, tomatoes, lucerne sprouts, green leafy vegetables, apples, raspberries and whole grains such as oatmeal. Na dużą skalę MSM wytwarza się syntetycznie. Siarka organiczna w czystej postaci to biały proszek bez zapachu, który dobrze rozpuszcza się w wodzie.
Scientific studies show that oral intake of organic sulphur causes its absorption and, with prolonged use, accumulation in tissues. MSM is very small and easily penetrates cell membranes affecting different cell types. It makes it difficult to precisely describe the mechanisms of organic sulphur action. It is known for certain that it exhibits anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
MSM Sulphur - Mechanisms of action
MSM sulphur has anti-inflammatory effects. It participates in inhibiting the pro-inflammatory signalling pathway NF-κB. The inhibitory action of MSM on NF-κB results in decreased expression of interleukins IL-1 and IL-6 as well as tumour necrosis factor-α (TNF-α). Due to the organic sulphur action, the accumulation of inflammatory markers at the place of inflammation (tissue damage) is also reduced.Lowering the secretion of IL-6 by MSM has a direct effect on reducing chronic inflammation of low intensity, which is the substrate of many diseases, including atherosclerosis, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
MSM sulphur is a compound with antioxidant activity. Its mechanism of action is different from that of many antioxidants. MSM does not directly affect the deactivation of reactive oxygen species, but their processing by mitochondria.
Due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity, MSM sulfur supports the immune system. It also improves the body's response to stress factors, such as high physical activity.
Recommended products with MSM
Organic sulphur MSM - health-promoting properties
Organic sulphur in the form of dietary supplements is used for many health problems. Its purpose is usually to reduce inflammation and pain. The properties of organic sulphur are the reason why it is taken by people suffering from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tendonitis, etc. MSM is also used externally on the skin to reduce scars, stretch marks, burns, wrinkles, accelerate the healing of wounds and abrasions, as well as in the treatment of rosacea. There is a whole range of other reasons why people take MSM. These include obesity, liver problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gum disease, snoring, infections, lung problems and Alzheimer's disease. As you can see, the range of properties attributed to MSM is very wide. However, it must be pointed out that for many of them, there is not enough scientific evidence. So what actions of MSM are confirmed by science?
When can an organic sulphur supplement really help?
- nflammatory joint disease. Clinical studies show that organ sulphur can reduce pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints. This effect is enhanced when MSM is given together with glucosamine or glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate, type II collagen or boswellic acid. MSM probably protects joint cartilage from damage, but there is no evidence that it enables the reconstruction of cartilage structures that have already been damaged.
- Inflammation of various organs. In vivo studies have shown that MSM reduces the expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines in inflammation of the colon, liver, lung and bladder. Organic sulphur may be helpful in inflammatory diseases.
- Muscle pain after exercise. Prolonged, intense exercise can cause muscle soreness due to micro-injuries to the muscles and surrounding connective tissue that leads to a local inflammatory response. MSM may be an effective agent for reducing muscle pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties, as well as the presence of sulphur in connective tissue. Preliminary studies show that MSM can reduce muscle soreness after resistance and endurance exercise.
- Allergic rhinitis. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, organic sulphur can reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis such as sneezing, itching in the nose, runny nose, tearing of the eyes and congestion of the nasal mucosa. Its helpful effects are based on reducing the secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines and prostaglandins in response to the allergen.
- Improving skin condition. MSM may be a sulphur donor for keratin, one of the main skin-building proteins. Studies with humans suggest that organic sulphur applied externally can improve the appearance of the skin, increase its flexibility, balance pigmentation and reduce wrinkles. In one of the studies, administration of silymarin and MSM proved to be useful in reducing the symptoms of rosacea.
Która siarka MSM jest najlepsza?
MSM organic sulphur has been shown (organic sulphur compound) to have a positive effect on immunity. Supplementation with organic sulphur may be necessary for the proper functioning of bones and joints in cases where one suffers from organic sulphur deficiency.
Which MSM sulphur is the best? It depends on the purpose it is going to be used for. The most important thing is to make sure that the supplement contains amounts of the active ingredient in the dose that guarantee to work. To do this, you should follow the results of scientific studies and the doses that have been shown to be effective in those studies. The best MSM sulphur for joints should be combined with other substances that improve its effects - glucosamine, chondroitin, boswellic acid or collagen. In the case of joint ailments, multicomponent preparations that also contain MSM seem to be the best. For other applications, too little is known to recommend specific dosages or compositions of supplements with organic sulphur.
Looking for the best MSM organic sulphur, you should consider the content of MSM per tablet (the more, the better) and the price. The best MSM supplements are not the most expensive ones. Expensive products are usually promoted by marketing, but not by better composition. When looking for an organic sulphur supplement, compare the prices of MSM from different manufacturers with the content of active ingredients per tablet/dose.
There are no official recommendations that specify the recommended dosage of MSM for different health conditions. However, it is worth suggesting dosages that have been shown to be effective in scientific studies. For organic sulphur MSM, studies have found that for joints, the following dosage may be effective:
- 1.5 to 6 grams of MSM each day divided into up to three doses per day for up to 12 weeks.
- 5 grams of MSM combined with 7.2 mg of boswellic acid daily for 60 days.
- 1.5 grams of MSM combined with 1.5 grams of glucosamine daily in three divided doses for 2 weeks.
In the case of other disorders, too little evidence is available for researchers to recommend a specific dosage of MSM. Most commonly, study participants are given doses ranging from 500 mg to 3 g of organic sulphur per day.
MSM is considered to be a safe substance. It is recommended to use organic sulphur orally for a maximum of 3 months and externally on the skin for up to 20 days.